Monday, December 9, 2013

Radioshack update 9 - It has been a long time...

Ground rods + equipment to drill them into the ground.
It has been September that I last updated my shack building progress. Actually there are some things that are not ready. In the mean time I already had to do the contests I do every year. So progress was not really made, but I was thinking about it at least. I decided that this weekend I should do the last things to finish the shack so far. That means finishing the safety ground system, label the various drawers and maps and attaching the plexiglass windows to form extra insulation. Slowly the new shack in growing to what I had in mind for it.

Luckely there seems to be no RFI into the equipment so a "RF earth" or potentential equalization of the equipment like I wrote about before is not needed. I followed the advise from W8JI and did not use any ferrite chokes on any coax, supply or audio cable to the radio. I also soldered the braid to the outside of all PL connectors to get a best connection. That's something I never did before, I only soldered the core at the center pin and assumed folding back the braid and turn it into the connector with force was good enough. I think 90% of connections like this will be good enough, but if one fails you could probabely have a hard to find problem with RFI somewhere. The groundrod outside is connected with a big welding cable (25mm2) to the patch panel I made at the coax cable entrance. It's just inside the house and it would be better to have it outside. But in that case I would need a watertight box outside on the wall, that wasn't a option. It would be to difficult when I or my XYL had to unplug everything in case of lightning. When my new antennamast is installed I will make a better lightning protection at the base of the mast. For now this is better as nothing at all. Since I do not use the mains earthing system for my radio equipment I feel a little saver now.

I labelled various drawers and maps I use to storage various things. I really need it this way as I'm too chaotic to remember in which drawer or map I stored things in. I found a lot of stuff I don't use anymore and already selled some items. I also threw things away as sometimes you really need to say goodbye to old things.

The insulation of the shack is very good. Till now I used little to no heat from the small electrical heater. If I leave the computer and radio on temperature will rise 2-5 degrees depending on time and temperature outside. It hasn't been below 10 degrees yet and if you don't stay too long in the shack a temperature just above 15 degrees Celsius is warm enough. If I use the electrical heater (800W) I can get it 18 degrees C in about half a hour, the equipment will hold the temperature equal to that after. I installed extra plexiglass at the side windows which are single layered. Hopefully that will add a extra insulation when it's getting really cold in January-February.

Believe it or not. Besides all this work I still had time to make 25 QSOs in the TARA RTTY contest and 100 QSOs in the EPC Ukraine PSK63 DX contest. Didn't sleep much this weekend though ;-).

Labeled drawers
Het was alweer in September dat ik de laatste keer schreef over de vooruitgang van mijn nieuwe radio kamer. Eigenlijk zijn er een aantal dingen nog steeds niet klaar. In de tussentijd deed ik ook alweer mee aan de contesten waar ik elk jaar aan meedoe. Dus veel vooruitgang werd er niet geboekt, maar plannen waren er genoeg. Ik had besloten dit weekend maar de puntjes op de i te zetten. Dat betekende het klaarmaken van de veiligheidsaarde, labelen van diverse laden en mappen en monteren van een extra plaat plexiglas voor de ramen aan de zijkant. Heel langzaam word de radio "shack" zoals ik het in gedachten had.

Gelukkig blijk ik tot nu toe niet veel last van RFI te hebben op de apparatuur. Een "RF aarde" ofwel de potentiaal vereffening van de apparatuur waar ik al eens over schreef is niet nodig. Ik volgde het advies van W8JI en heb dit keer geen enkele ferrietring of clamp om de coax, voedingslijn en audiokabels zitten. Ik heb voor het eerst ook de mantel van de coax aan de buitenkant van de PL pluggen gesoldeerd. To nu toe soldeerde ik alleen de kern en nam ik aan dat terugvouwen van de mantel en dan met kracht er in draaien wel genoeg zou zijn. Waarschijnlijk is dat voor 90% ook wel een goede verbinding, maar mocht het niet zo zijn kan je natuurlijk wel een moeilijk te vinden RFI bron hebben. De aardpen buiten is verbonden met een 25mm2 laskabel van zo een 3 Mtr naar de verdeler waar de coax kabel in huis komt. Dat is net in huis en beter zou buiten geweest zijn. In dat geval zou ik weer een waterdichte kast aan de muur moeten schroeven, dat zou geen mooie optie zijn. Daarbij komt nog dat mijn XYL natuurlijk geen kastje open gaat draaien in geval van bliksem (buiten aan de muur in de regen). Als mijn antennemast weer staat zal ik een betere bliksem beveiliging maken direct onder de mast. Maar voor nu is het beter dan helemaal niets. Omdat ik verder geen aarde gebruik van het huis is het tenminste iets veiliger nu.

De isolatie van de shack is erg goed. Tot nu toe heb ik eigenlijk bijna geen verwarming aan moeten doen. Als ik de computer en radio aan laat staan gaat de temperatuur 2-5 graden omhoog afhankelijk van de tijd en buitentemperatuur. Boven de 15 graden is het best te doen als je niet te lang zit. Tot nu toe is het er nog niet kouder geweest dan 10 graden. Als ik de elektrische verwarming aan doe (800W) is het binnen een half uur 18 graden, daarna kan ik hem wel uitdoen want de apparatuur houd die temperatuur mooi vast. Ik heb nog plexiglas voor de zijraampjes gemaakt voor extra isolatie omdat dat enkel glas is. Ik hoop dat dit genoeg is voor de extra koude dagen in Januari - Februari.

En geloof het of niet. Naast al het werk had ik ook nog even tijd om 25 QSO's te maken in de TARA RTTY contest en 100 QSO's in de EPC Ukraine PSK63 DX contest. Niet veel slaap gehad dus dit weekend ;-).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds good, Bas. There is a definite comfort that comes from having your shack laid out the way you want it. Not possible for a lot of people who are consigned to work with what they have available in terms of area. I'm sure your enjoyment of the hobby will make all the work worthwhile.

John AE5X

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, it is indeed getting very comfortable. You're absolutely right about what people can do with the hobby. I think first of all you need to have a lot of enthousiasm for it and then see what you can do with the available space. I had limited space in the house before this one but did my best to make it as good as possible. If you got real limited space like G4ILO and VE3WDM it's more difficult and you need a lot of enthousiasm to make something of the hobby. I feel deep respect for them. Now back to the hobby (and work). 73, Bas

Hans said...

Hallo Bas,
Wat betreft je aarding/beveiliging komt dat best wel goed. Gewoon naar eigen inzicht dat doen wat je denkt dat goed is. Mooiste is inderdaad aarding v.d. coax buiten maar ook onhandig.
En naast al het werk e.d. dan nog 25 RTTY en 100 PSK verbindingen maken, hoe krijg je het voor elkaar. Petje af hoor!
73 Hans, PE1BVQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Hans, ik denk dat het ook wel redelijk goed komt zo. Ik ga er maar van uit dat ik nooit bliksem inslag krijg. Maar mocht het toch zo zijn hoop ik dat dit afdoende is. Voor storing, RFI etc. etc. helpt het niets natuurlijk. Al denken sommige amateurs dat het echt helpt. Dat zit gewoon tussen de oren. Er zijn zat stations die helemaal geen aarde gebruiken en toch geen last hebben van RFI. Die contesten/aantallen is een kwestie van erg vroeg opstaan. Ik heb natuurlijk een goede antenne voor 80/40. En daar zijn 's morgens natuurlijk een hoop stations op te werken + een beetje geluk natuurlijk. Komend weekend is het ARRL 10m contest (CW/SSB). 1 van de contesten waar ik liefhebber van ben. Helaas heb ik erg weinig tijd. En vroeg opstaan of 's avonds laat roepen helpt niet op die band. Probeer in iedergeval zaterdag vanaf het werk in de pauze wat QSO's te maken. Zondag zien we wel hoeveel tijd er aan dte besteden is. 73, Bas