Thursday, October 1, 2015

Olivia again

It has been 3 years ago I made my first and I believe only QSO in the digital mode Olivia. I've been trying and looking for contacts but no luck at all. There are not many that have the patience and writing skill you need for this mode. Not to forget you need to have a social skill as well as this is a ragchew mode. If you try this mode, others expect some chat and not the usual macro commands. Olivia digital mode is not for everyone I think, but suits me well as I like reading and writing. Yesterday evening I finally had a Olivia QSO on 20m with AJ8S Jim. His signal was barely readable though Olivia decoded it without many problems. We had a qso that lasted I think at least 20 minutes. Jim is a retired engineer and has been working in the Netherlands in the past. Olivia mode is so different from other digital modes especially when you meet someone interesting and have a nice chat. You can do this via the internet of course. But wireless via radio is so much more magic. It gives you the feeling of radio before the internet and phone age. I feels very good...


2 comments:

Kawayuppie said...

Hi Bas,

I have also had a couple Olivia QSO in the last few years as well. I do enjoy it as I also like to "rag chew". One memorable Olivia QSO I had was nearly an hour long! :-)

I have been infrequently on radio in the last year due to work and personal life, but I am trying to back into it. Let me know if you would want to try for a sked sometime.

vy 73

Andre', M0JEK

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Andre, I would love to make a sked with you. Best with the UK is 80m in the evening I think. Though it will take till november until I have my 80m horizontal loop antenna up again. With the vertical it is unsure if we could make it. 73, Bas