Monday, February 15, 2016

PACC 2016 review

Event: PACC 2016
Logger: N1MM+ most updated version
Station: Yaesu FT-817ND (5W)
Antenna: HB9CV at 6m AGL, 84m horizontal loop at 7m AGL.

Incredible propagation in my eyes. Or the FT-817 does receive very well? I don't know. I had limited time due to birthday obligations but the score beats my imagination. I aimed for a few more QSOs as last year but it became 2 times more. 10m propagation was good though there were not that much participating stations, most came from Russia. Surprisingly I received FR4QT (Reunion) very well on my HB9CV and as his signal improved I managed to work him for a multiplier and points. Still on 10m I managed to work 4Z5LU (Israel) on CW without problems but struggled with neighbourstation PA0O who was just a few Khz down from him. A incredible signal from K3ZO (59+) on 15m SSB and worked him of course, my only USA station this contest. Not that I didn't hear the DX, but work them with 5W is another difficult task. I noticed a few exotic calls from dutchman abroad. One of them from Z21 (Zimbabwe) but he was not calling CQ but S&P working another dutch station. The majority of QSOs were made to the Netherlands followed by Russia. Incredible signals within Europe on 20m, that could be due to my horizontal loop. I even managed to work a station from Utrecht (PA85SVS) on 20m, he was a real 59 at my side. Normally 20m contacts within the Netherlands are difficult even with QRO. For 160m the loop was disconnected on one side and used as a endfed, I was surprised I could make some QSOs with QRP even with France and Poland for multipliers. As you notice I used a bit of CW as well. Actually I dared to give a CQ on 80m and didn't expect what happened next. I was creating a pile-up I couldn't manage and I respect the operators for having so much patience with me. So sorry for those that called but I couldn't work. I really don't "speak or understand" CW and have to do it all with the computer. Many operators tried to key s-l-o-w-l-y creating a even worse decoding environment for my decoding software (FLDIGI). For the software the best code is generated by another computer with a speed of about 20-25wpm. It is clear to me now that for serious contesting and DXing  you really need to learn the CW language. I have been calling CQ on 80m (best band) several times but with 5W it doesn't give much response and it's just for "taking a breath". S&P is very intensive and exhausting at times but definitely give you points and multipliers with QRP. This was just my second time with QRP in the PACC contest, actually it is more fun with 100W. But with limited time it is really nice to learn how to work with very low power. It gives you an idea what is possible. Unfortunately the QRP section is a mixed section, to end high or win this section you really need to know CW. However I'm very curious what my place will be in the end. Time will tell...

Below a video from PA3JD Joop from Dedemsvaart. He showed up before on my blog in a small soundclip from the Frysian 11 cities contest last year. Joop did participate in the PACC this year QRP with 5W as well but only with CW. As you can see around his shack Joop does have a lot of old school gear and does make CW with a straight key and paddle. Wow, I wish I'm able to do this as well in the future. Video published with permission (tnx Joop).





14 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, je hebt toch nog het een en ander kunnen werken. Bij mij is er niets van gekomen. Ik had video opdrachten om voetbalwedstrijden te filmen. Ja, is zeker de moeite waard om CW te leren. Het beste is om dat in groepsverband te doen via de vereniging. Individueel lukt meestal niet, dan haken mensen toch te snel af. Ik deed dat via de 2 meter band met een aantal amateurs in Noord Holland. Dat werkte prima. 73 Paul PC4T

Peter pa4o said...

Vind het een goed resultaat wat je hebt neergezet Bas met je 5W. Ik zou het niet volhouden maar zou er ook niet aan beginnen.

Peter pa4o

Hans said...

Hallo Bas, ook mijn complimenten en dat met 5W. Wat CW betreft heeft Paul gelijk. In een groep heb je meer kans van slagen dan individueel CW leren. Ik ben al enige tijd bezig om hier wat op te zetten, helaas is er weinig animo maar ik blijf proberen. Mogelijk dat we ooit eens een CW QSO kunnen maken met elkaar hi. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul, jammer dat je niet mee kon doen. Maar gelukkig komt er altijd weer een volgende keer. Wat betreft een groepje vinden om CW te leren. Tja, dat is misschien wel wat. Alleen haak je snel alweer af. Ik zit er wel eens over te denken om een jaar alleen CW te gaan werken. Gewoon om te moeten leren dan. Moet ik nog wel even een seinsleutel kopen ;-)
73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Peter, nee dit is niks voor jou. Jouw stijl is meer CQ geven en snel de stations achter elkaar werken. Het enige wat dan telt voor een hoge score is snelheid. Ik had erg veel last om jou signaal de decoderen, de computer kon er niks van maken. Het is dat je gespot stond op het cluster dat ik wist wie het was. Geen idee waar dat aan gelegen heeft? 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Bedankt Hans, ik wil wel in jouw groep :-) Alleen wonen we wat ver van elkaar vandaan. In LWCO (lwco.net) kan je ook groepen maken zodat je een soort competitie hebt geloof ik. Weet niet of dat wat toevoegt aan het leren? Ik ben daar al eens begonnen om wat te leren. Maar na 4 letters loop ik vast, kan het niet uit elkaar houden. Het klinkt voor mij dan bijna hetzelfde. Mijn eigen call begin ik nu wel te herkennen. Is gewoon een kwestie van vaak naar luisteren. 73, Bas

Enno - PF5X said...

Hi Bas,

CW is een must, maar ja ik doe ik nauwelijks iets anders ("CW rules"). Prima QRP score overigens. Kijk hier eens naar een lijst met goede CW trainings programma's http://www.qsl.net/va3rj/cw_soft.html

Groeten,

Enno, PF5X

Joop van der Does said...

Bedankt Bas voor het filmpje in je blog!

Angel M0HDF said...

Great effort Bas for QRP SSB mainly. Your horizontal loop antenna is working very well.

73 de Angel M0HDF

Joop van der Does said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joop van der Does said...

Dag Paul,
Misschien een optie: ik heb op latere leeftijd CW geleerd. Ik was 54 toen ik begon. Heb gebruik gemaakt van de morse cursus van de UBA, onze Belgische vrienden. Iedere morgen een kwartier en iedere avond 20 minuten. Daarna gebruik gemaakt van G4FON. Na 8 maanden had ik e.e.a. aardig onder de knie. Je moet het 'muziekje' horen in het seinen, heeft mij ooit iemand gezegd.
Maar misschien lukt het op deze manier in groepsverband ook wel. Ik wens je veel succes, want CW is m.i. de mooiste mode die er is.
73 de Joop, PA3JD

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Enno, voor sommigen is CW een soort religie. Bedankt voor de link, ik heb het al even bekeken. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Joop, respect hoor. Jij bent een echte OM. Wat dit betreft kom ik nog maar net kijken. Al ben ik alweer 37 jaar radioamateur. Ik weet zeker dat ik nog eens CW ga leren. Ik raak steeds gemotiveerder. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Angel, it's so unfortunate I have to dismantle it every year. I wish I could keep the loop permanently as it is a excellent antenna. It always performs well. But most important of course is the propagation, it was good as far as I could experience. 73,Bas