Sunday, April 10, 2016

MCW simple leadtime solution

MCW (Modulated Continuous Wave) is audio modulation generated CW with a soundcard. If you don't have a Winkey or Microkeyer like me it is a solution to transmit CW with software like FLdigi and DM780. The only problem is that, if you work with a VOX activated PTT like me, you miss the first "dot". This results in faults like I had with VK0EK. I didn't look at it in the past as I always transmit my call 2 times to insure they got my callsign correct. But it occured to me that many times I was in the log as GE4BAS, missing the first ".". PE2KM Kees his comment and a discussion via e-mail with Aart PA3C opened my eyes or actually my ears to listen and analyze my own transmission. Aart suggested to me I should try a longer lead time. But this doesn't work with VOX activated PTT as it only goes in transmit when there is sound. Why did this never come up to me at all before? The solution is simple! Just ad a E (. in CW) in the TX macro before the call. Just like: EPE4BAS, ETU 5NN etc. Just a simple solution and listening to my own transmission it works well till 20wpm, at least at my equipment. Time to test things out with FT4JA on 30m CW. Yes, he copied, I saw it clearly on the screen. But unfortenately I'm not in the log so I guess it was a pirate?

By the way, for the USA readers, use of MCW is illigal in the United States below 50,1 MHz.


6 comments:

SV1GRN said...

Dear Bas you can a try a CW interface and avoid MCW. There are many on the internet, either with a brand name or not. I am currently using a cheap Chinese usb cw interface for my Icom. 73 de SV1GRN

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, ik gebruik ook wel eens MCW, van de term had ik nog niet gehoord, maar wel logisch. Toch heb ik dat probleem niet. Ik wek dan met Fldigi. Ik gebruik dan ook VOX. Toch geef ik mijn call vaak maar 1 keer, zonder problemen. Wat je kan doen is DE er voor zetten om het probleem op te lossen, of eerst een spatie laten en dan de call. Maar ik gebruik wel macros's voor MCW. Type jij dan direct op je toetsenbord? 73 Paul PC4T

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Overigens staat bij Wikipedia: When the amateur radio transceiver is in SSB mode, the resulting modulation is J2A or J2B and therefore not MCW by definition.

Ik gebruik wel SSB mode voor CW met de computer. 73 Paul PC4T

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Yes, I know Panagiotis. I'll probabely will order one. But till now I was not so active on CW. Really should try more. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul, met FLdigi heb ik hetzelfde probleem. Een spatie helpt niks want dat geeft geen geluid. DE ervoor is ook een oplossing. En inderdaad mijn radio staat met MCW ook op USB. Spots die je ziet op het cluster moet je dus een KHz lager tunen. Anders zit je niet op de juiste freq. 73, Bas

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, vreemd, ik heb geen enkel probleem met Fldigi. Het seint weg wat ik ingeef. Ik heb na veel vogelen met Fldigi en CWskimmer welke frequentie ik moest hebben om zero beat te werken. Fldigi staat op 800 Hz. 73 Paul PC4T