Monday, June 8, 2015

10m down, 6m up & waiting for ES

HB9CV dismantled together with my little helper...
I took the 10m HB9CV down to take place for the 6m antenna. Last week I was thinking about what to do. Change it for the W2000 VHF/UHF vertical which did prove itself last year. Or put a 5 element ZX yagi up. Till now ES on 6m is still not promising. So I took the W2000 up again.

Today was the first day I had time to really monitor 6m. I think WSPR like G3XBM is using to monitor is not a good idea. So instead I chose JT65A on 50.276 MHz USB. I didn't make any QSOs till now since I was not at the radio at the right time. But I did see some stations listing: YO3GXC, YO9BLY and YO5CFI  at around 16:30-16:45 UTC. ON7GB at 17:35 UTC, called him a few times but he didn't see me. SZ7SER at 17:42. So sometimes there is some ES here in the north, though looking at the map on DXmaps it seems some stations 30-40km south of me do make some QSOs on 6. Unfortunately it is most time like that.
ES map at the time I worked EA1VY. 

Then, suddenly out of nothing there was EA1VY booming in with about -5dB. First 6m QSO for 2015 was made...
A few moments later F1MWV called me with a massive -1dB signal. Second QSO has been made....
So, what can I tell....let the 6m magic begin!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday, Sunday, I raised my 2 el yagi (~4.5dBd) for 6m at about 6-7m agl. I monitor the band all day long, every hour from morning to about 7 pm but no luck hearing something. On the contrary, last weekend with my tree hanging 10 m Quad, working on 6m, I could hear a lot of UR stations, and two DL, even worked a few in CW. Anyway, the magic is on the way :)

Adrian, YO4HHP

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Adrian, the magic has happened here. ES for an hour or so. See list at the right side of this blog. 73, Bas

Hans said...

Hallo Bas, dat gaat lekker bij jou op 6m.
Ik hem mijn V2000 ook al klaar staan ter vervanging van de X300 die helaas geen 6m kent maar wel op UHF en VHF beter is dan de V2000. Maar verticaal op 2 en 70cm is voor mij persoonlijk niets interessants te beleven dus is de keuze op 6m gevallen. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Hans, ik ken de X300 niet zo goed maar vind de V2000 niet slecht op 2/70. Denk wel dat veel afhangt van de hoogte en keuze van de coax. Bij mij werkt het 6m gedeelte in ieder geval uitstekend. Zie de gewerkte stations hier rechts boven aan. 73, Bas