Friday, October 27, 2017

#cqww fun with PA6AA

I was just thinking at what moment I met some of these guys first time. The exact years are unknown but I met Peter PA4O and Bernard PB7Z  already on air at the start of the nineties of last century. 25 years ago we were on 11m (CB, 27MC) and not even thinking about legal hamradio. I had never thought I would colaborate with them in the CQWW SSB contest 25 years later.

Find our bio at: www.qrz.com/db/pa6aa


Well, actually I didn't have the time to help them really with building the station. The only thing I could do is renting the scaffold from my job and get it to them. Fortunate I had another customer in the area that had to be visited and so I could get there within time for them to set it up. The other guys did the hard work actually. Hopefully I can do some more work in the weekend. Especially contesting of course.

The nice thing is that the house that is rented is very near to the sea and far from any other villages and disturbing interference. It is the open field which is very flat. Only at the north is a 10m high dyke. From experience I know that it will give some attenuation to the north, but since the sea is at the other side that will compensate. The nice thing is that it will give some gain into the other direction. How do I know? Well from experience with a CB radio on my bicycle long long time ago. I've been cycling in the area in the eighties actually and did some tests back then on the dyke and below the dyke. Signals became stronger in the south direction when I cycled below the dyke.
Of course that was on 27MHz, so I don't know for other bands but expect it will be similair.

We will see if this will be in our benefit....

Hope to meet you in the contest!!

1 comment:

Hans said...

Hallo Bas, lijkt mij geweldig met een stel kameraden, die bijna allemaal dezelfde achtergrond hebben (CB) nu deze contest gezamenlijk te draaien. JUllie hebben een mooie locatie uitgezocht en ik hoop dat naast de gezelligheid het ook nog de nodige punten voor de contest oplevert. Veel succes voor de gehele ploeg. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ.